In 1939, in a still profoundly rural Italy, the fascist regime began a new phase in the agrarian policy of support called "assault on the latifundium", which led to the foundation of some small villages destined to become service centers of the future uncultivated areas. In Sicily, 8 tiny villages endowed with urban structures were formed.These villages were named for medals of military valor and fascist martyrs. BorgoLupo, in the province of Catania, part of Mineo, was built according to a project by the architect Filippo Marino and officially founded on December 16th 1940. He took the name of the catanese infantry lieutenant Pietro Lupo, silver medal for military valor, martyr of the war in Africa, in the battle of Giabassirè, Ethiopia, in 1936. Now, more than 70 years later everything is abandoned because of lack of running water and only 2 old couples still live with their animals. Here is a capture from the solitary landscape of hills covered only by the intense green of the newborn wheat and the sound of animals.
2. Mounted Artwork with Black Frame
Single Frame Large: 42"W x 30"H